3D printed Anguirus sculpted by Dopepope

Focused on all the big critters. Dinosaurs and KAIJU!
With added discussion of creating dioramas, shadowboxes, vignettes and bases

Moderators: tay666, Moderators

DinoMike
Registered Seller
Registered Seller

3D printed Anguirus sculpted by Dopepope

#1 Post by DinoMike »

I'm currently printing this bad boy, digitally sculpted by Dopepope. I've had my share of troubles with this print, none of which were due to the actual model, only my printer. Parts popping loose from the build plate, a nozzle clog... it's madness, I tells ya! :D

I'm printing this at the default FDM size, which is listed as 1:250 scale. I still have a way to go on getting the parts printed out. Since this photo was taken, I've printed and attached the base piece of the tail. The remaining tail part is currently printing. Then I have the last 2 sections of his carapace to print, his tail spikes, and lastly the 4 pieces of the base. FDM printed on an Artillery Sidewinder X2.

DinoMike
Registered Seller
Registered Seller

Re: 3D printed Anguirus sculpted by Dopepope

#2 Post by DinoMike »

The tail parts and tail spikes are all printed and attached. All that's left for the main figure parts are the last 2 carapace pieces, then I start printing off the 4 base pieces.

mrestfla
Finger Painter

#3 Post by mrestfla »

dimensions? it's excellent!
DinoMike
Registered Seller
Registered Seller

#4 Post by DinoMike »

mrestfla wrote: September 19th, 2023, 12:09 am dimensions? it's excellent!
Here's an earlier pic that I took with a tape measure in the frame.

mrestfla
Finger Painter

#5 Post by mrestfla »

after all the remaining pieces are finished, are you able to produce this monster fast? to be sold? price?
DinoMike
Registered Seller
Registered Seller

#6 Post by DinoMike »

mrestfla wrote: September 19th, 2023, 1:50 am after all the remaining pieces are finished, are you able to produce this monster fast? to be sold? price?
Nope, sorry, no production run from me on this. The license on the digital file that I purchased doesn't permit it.
DinoMike
Registered Seller
Registered Seller

#7 Post by DinoMike »

The trials and tribulations of 3D printing. I got a good start on the final part of the figure... and had a support fail. I'm having to start from scratch on this part.

tay666
Site Admin

#8 Post by tay666 »

That is a nice size. Gonna be a fun piece for sure.
Trevor Ylisaari

Check out My Prehistoric Scenes site and forum

"Nothing like a trail of blood
To find your way back home."

WANTED - Bat Rider - produced by Wraiths
DinoMike
Registered Seller
Registered Seller

#9 Post by DinoMike »

tay666 wrote: September 19th, 2023, 11:47 pm That is a nice size. Gonna be a fun piece for sure.
Oh yeah! Gonna be a bit of a learning curve as compared to resin kits. Today I had to take a heat gun to the pieces and carefully melt off fine strings of PLA plastic that the nozzle left behind while printing. In some places, it looked like Anguirus had been in a fight with Kumonga. :D Most of the pieces fit together almost perfectly, but in some places my printer must have been a touch off, I'll need to fill some gaps, either with Vallejo plastic putty or epoxy putty and a texture stamp for a couple of larger gaps.
DinoMike
Registered Seller
Registered Seller

#10 Post by DinoMike »

The figure itself is finished, I just need to print the base. In addition to the usual filler primer and sanding to hide layer lines, I need to fill a few pretty serious gaps. Looks like my printer isn't QUITE tuned properly.

DinoMike
Registered Seller
Registered Seller

#11 Post by DinoMike »

A snag has developed. The base won't print properly. I went back and looked at the digital file in my slicer, and for some reason the center of the base is flat, but there's a wavy margin surrounding the flat center. From that margin, the base slightly curves upward toward the outer edge. That upward curve is causing problems, my printer is trying to print this really fragile mesh to support it, and failing every time. I've reached out to the company's tech support to see if they can flatten the bottom out. I doubt this is something DopePope did, as I have a few other kaiju files that he sculpted, and the base bottoms are flat on all of those.
DinoMike
Registered Seller
Registered Seller

#12 Post by DinoMike »

I got the base files fixed, and the printing finally completed! One of these days, I'll get around to the seam filling and usual 3D print post-processing, then it will be paint time.

DinoMike
Registered Seller
Registered Seller

#13 Post by DinoMike »

Turns out that the stated scale was off. I'm most of the way through printing a DopePope-sculpted Showa Godzilla, and this Anguirus dwarfs it. Godzilla looks like a toddler by comparison. The Anguirus was too large, if my calculations were correct. I'm going to print a rescaled Anguirus to go with Godzilla, giving this oversized one to my brother in law to finish. Oh well, smaller figures will be easier on my shelf space, (They were both listed as 1/250 scale)
bucketfoot-al
Registered Seller
Registered Seller

#14 Post by bucketfoot-al »

And he will be grateful to you for his early Christmas gift!!!

😁🤠🥰
Bucketfoot-Al
http://bucketfoot-al.tripod.com/DinoModels/

"You may all go to Hell. I will go to Texas."
-Davy Crockett
DinoMike
Registered Seller
Registered Seller

#15 Post by DinoMike »

This is how much the scale was off. :D They were both supposed to be 1/250 scale. I think they miscalculated Anguirus' height, taking a figure listed for his height when standing on the hind legs, as in the movie still posted, and interpreted that as his height at the shoulder while on all fours.

bucketfoot-al
Registered Seller
Registered Seller

#16 Post by bucketfoot-al »

😳😳😳

Wow. That's not even close!
Bucketfoot-Al
http://bucketfoot-al.tripod.com/DinoModels/

"You may all go to Hell. I will go to Texas."
-Davy Crockett
DinoMike
Registered Seller
Registered Seller

#17 Post by DinoMike »

Since I showed a partial print in the scale issue photos, might as well show the entire figure. Another DopePope sculpt, Showa Godzilla.

DinoMike
Registered Seller
Registered Seller

#18 Post by DinoMike »

Update: Gave both to my brother in law. I could NOT get the Godzilla figure's teeth to print right in FDM at that small a scale, and I lack the display space to go larger. I'm planning on switching to a resin printer around February. I'll reprint both then, in a size that won't eat all my display space. :D