What's new in the Gallery?
Check This thread

Godzilla Minus 0

Discuss Movies, Televison and all your favorites whether they be on DVD, VHS, or the Silver Screen

Moderator: Moderators

bucketfoot-al
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Duke of Dry Brush

Re: Godzilla Minus 0

#21 Post by bucketfoot-al »

tay666 wrote: December 6th, 2023, 12:10 am
bucketfoot-al wrote: December 5th, 2023, 4:08 am Trev - You have just TWO more days to see it in Theaters.
According to the movie listings, I have until next Wednesday to make up my mind.
Bill Jones told me over lunch today that the movie is drawing such crowds that they extended its run! (PS His IMAX audience applauded at the end too. Like me, he is of the opinion that this is THE best G movie EVER. Pics of our meetup coming in a separate thread a little later ... :wink: )
Bucketfoot-Al
http://bucketfoot-al.tripod.com/DinoModels/

"You may all go to Hell. I will go to Texas."
-Davy Crockett

Todd P.
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Duke of Dry Brush

#22 Post by Todd P. »

I was sick over the weekend and couldn't go, and was crestfallen when I read the theatrical run was scheduled to end Thursday. Luckily it has been extended at a few theaters.

Like Trevor, I have a long drive to see it. My only local theater shut down a few weeks ago.

barad_dur
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Bishop of Build Ups

#23 Post by barad_dur »

My wife and I saw this movie yesterday.
We both thought that it was excellent!
Much more to the story than just Godzilla stomping all over everything (however, the stomping scenes are fantastic)
See my model kit collection on YouTube Model Club TV Episode 86
See my kitbash work-in-progress pics in the Kustomizers section of the clubhouse
Thanks for looking !

WStulack
Seam Filler

#24 Post by WStulack »

I've heard the budget for this movie was only 15 million dollars. Talk about getting the most bang for your buck!
As a die hard fan of the Japanese Godzilla, it warms my heart to hear all the positive reviews this movie is getting.
William Stulack

bucketfoot-al
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Duke of Dry Brush

#25 Post by bucketfoot-al »

I just found a wonderfully funny review of Godzilla Minus One by a Scottish Chap who doesn't mince words about Hollywood. Its dead-on and a hoot to boot.

(Warning: If you don't want to see some mild spoilers, wait til you've seen the film before watching this entertaining screed)

The link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaOuuByiPDA
Bucketfoot-Al

-Davy Crockett

AntMan
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Jack of all Trades

#26 Post by AntMan »

"Godzilla Minus One" - (The BEST Godzilla movie, ever)?!

I just checked it out two days ago, and I have to say, it blew me away! I really wasn't expecting anything more than a couple-of-hours of entertainment watching our favorite GIANT Kaiju wreck havoc on things, but I ended up enjoying it on so many other different levels.

*** (Spoiler Alert!) ***
One reason I enjoyed this movie so much is because of the "forced perspective" of it. (Much of the action was viewed from the point of view of the "puny humans" on the receiving end of the big-bad Kaiju.

A second positive for me was related to the first. The CGI appeared to seamlessly blend Godzilla in with the humans and their buildings and other things.

A third plus on the movie was how it attempted to tie into the historical perspective of the end of World War II.

And lastly here, (which might be the most important factor for me) is that this movie is really about people, and not about Godzilla.. Yes, Godzilla is in the staring role here. However, the movie is MORE about how his presence and interactions adversely affects those people.
I think that while other Kaiju movies have attempted to capture the human element when you have GIANT monsters interact with people. Godzilla Minus One may pull this off better than any of those others.

DO check out this movie, (and take a friend or your significant other). Or, watch it with your significant other first, and then go back a second time, and see it again
with a friend. :like

You'll be glad you did!

(P. S. The included pictures were obtained from the following website: https://www.bbc.com/.../20231205-godzilla-minus-one-the... )
Last edited by AntMan on January 1st, 2024, 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keep the glue and paint flowing, take care and stay blessed!
-Tony

"No Try! Do or Do Not! There is no try." Yoda

http://www.scififantmodmadrealm.com

Squidy53
Jack of all Trades

#27 Post by Squidy53 »

After viewing, it's clear Toho really pulled out all the stops on Godzilla Minus One, in a sense out-Hollywooding Hollywood.

There are three elements that make this film exceptional in my view:

1. The central themes of loss, sacrifice and respect for life give the film a solid emotional core. It is the central character's burden of guilt that drives this film and it is Godzilla that facilitates his evolution to a better place.

2. The film's effects, screenplay, set and sound design, cinematography, and character development are all first class. Emblematic of the filmmaker's smarts is how they hold back the use Akira Ifukube's Godzilla theme until our heroes initiate their plan to kill Godzilla. To me this is the best moment in the entire franchise. Astonishingly, the production cost of this film is "considerably less" than $US15 million! That is less than 1/10 of Godzilla 2014 without adjustment for inflation. (Though it needs to be remembered that the Japanese Government incentivizes low film costs at the expense of workers.)

3. The awesomeness of Godzilla itself. The filmmakers set out to make their manifestation of Godzilla the most terrifying yet. In my experience they succeeded. I've been watching monster movies since the 50's. I can't remember a time when I felt as deliciously intimidated by a movie monster. Fantastic. And this is without doubt a Godzilla movie. He does not play a supporting role. Nothing happens in this film that isn't driven by his presence.

Heretically, I've never been a huge fan of the original Godzilla (1954) though several homage scenes in Minus One brought a smile to my face. GMO has replaced Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack as my favorite Godzilla movie. I read with interest that GMK was a major inspiration/influence on the director of Minus One.

Toho were prevented by contract with Legendary to make a Godzilla film for several years. With the Monsterverse suffering MCU-like bloat and confusion it's clear they intended to take back the initiative and they've done so with extraordinary success.

Godzilla Minus One is not just a very impressive Godzilla movie, it's an impressive movie, full-stop.
Steve Walsh

bucketfoot-al
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Duke of Dry Brush

#28 Post by bucketfoot-al »

Going to see it again on Monday with my youngest daughter and her boyfriend. Will report back! 🤠
Bucketfoot-Al

-Davy Crockett

Todd P.
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Duke of Dry Brush

#29 Post by Todd P. »

Saw it, loved it. Now my favorite Godzilla movie, period.

Todd P.
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Duke of Dry Brush

#30 Post by Todd P. »

This bit was an homage to Jaws, right? So terrific. I think this is the first Godzilla movie that actually made me tense while watching.

bucketfoot-al
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Duke of Dry Brush

#31 Post by bucketfoot-al »

Saw it for the second time today. Thought it was even better than I did the first time (if that's possible). Loved the characters, the well-developed melodramatic plot arc, the acting - just flat out amazing! :bow: :bow: :bow: :drool2: =D> =D> =D> :thumb2: :thumb2: :thumb2: :jam: :shocked2: :bannana: :mrgreen2: :xmastree: :reddance: :wave: :beatdeadhorse: :ooops:

... anyhow ... that silent pause near the end ... as they are awaiting to be annihilated ... seemed even LONGER than it did the first time ... I knew what was going to happen, yet I was STILL holding my breath and overcome with emotion ... truly,

The Best Godzilla Movie of ALL TIME. :alcoholic:

My favorite scene, actually ... :wink: ... melding the end of World War II arc with The Big G was a pure stroke of genius ...

Bucketfoot-Al

-Davy Crockett

AntMan
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Jack of all Trades

#32 Post by AntMan »

I just saw it for a second time earlier today. It still delivered! 👍 I was surprised that I got so emotionally drawn into the story of the characters, (even after already seeing it previously). (I'm going to have to purchase a copy for my collection, when it becomes available). It was interesting to see a flyer for a new Godzilla versus King Kong flyer in the movie theater's lobby on my way out from the movie. It's scheduled to be released next spring. I'm curious how it'll do, and looking forward to comparing and contrasting it.
Keep the glue and paint flowing, take care and stay blessed!
-Tony

"No Try! Do or Do Not! There is no try." Yoda

http://www.scififantmodmadrealm.com

Tiger2
Squire of the Sprue

#33 Post by Tiger2 »

Went for the opening night in Bristol, UK and loved every micron of it. I loved the'Japanese-ness' of it, if that makes sense. The direction, the sets, the sincerity of the actors, they were all so invested in making it convincing and boy, did they deliver. The quiet moments of desperation and anguish and the utter destructive power of Godzilla are fantastic. It's been many years since I've walked out of a cinema wanting to walk back in and do it again. A must see, what else can I say!

Happy Christmas,
Paul

bucketfoot-al
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Duke of Dry Brush

#34 Post by bucketfoot-al »

Saw it for the third (and last time) before it leaves theaters last night ... all I can say is (recalling the lessons from my college film course) ... there will be film courses about how to make a perfect adventure movie that will use this picture as "Teaching Exhibit #1" ... :2guns: :bow: :bow: :bow:
Bucketfoot-Al

-Davy Crockett

WStulack
Seam Filler

#35 Post by WStulack »

So they are now rereleasing this movie in Black and White in Japan on January 12th. Most likely as an homage to the original Japanese Godzilla film from 1954.
Here's the Japanese trailer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PShgB-ielBI They are calling it Godzilla Minus One...Minus Color.
William Stulack

Ant
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Earl of Epoxy

#36 Post by Ant »

Just been to a Christmas eve showing. Epic! Just epic! With a side order of epic.

Squidy53
Jack of all Trades

#37 Post by Squidy53 »

Deleted.
Steve Walsh

Squidy53
Jack of all Trades

#38 Post by Squidy53 »

Wins Oscar for best visual effects! Very deserved.
Steve Walsh

bucketfoot-al
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Duke of Dry Brush

#39 Post by bucketfoot-al »

Squidy53 wrote: March 11th, 2024, 1:27 am Wins Oscar for best visual effects! Very deserved.
After sweeping the Japan Oscars ... a shame that Japan did not nominate it for the Best Foreign FIlm Oscar in the USA ... would have won that one too!!! :drool2: A GREAT achievement that cements this as THE BEST "G" movie of all time!!! \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ =D> =D> =D> :bow: :bow: :bow: :jam: :jam: :jam:
Bucketfoot-Al

-Davy Crockett

WStulack
Seam Filler

#40 Post by WStulack »

Squidy53 wrote: March 11th, 2024, 1:27 am Wins Oscar for best visual effects! Very deserved.
I now live in a world where a Japanese Godzilla movie has won an Oscar! :D :D :D :D

Take that Hollywood! :P
William Stulack