Wonderfest 2023 model contest results

Please post all Wonderfest-related threads here.

Moderator: Moderators

Heavy Metal Spike
Knight of the Round Bench
Location: Vancouver, Canada (ex-pat UK - Birmingham & Scotland!)

Re: Wonderfest 2023 model contest results

#21 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

Tim Fortuna wrote: June 13th, 2023, 12:51 pm . . . It was my first WF and my first time going into a model contest. I got a Gold and a Bronze myself. And a BEOSWL, which was an honor. I wasn't expecting anything at all and was pleasantly surprised when I thought I got two bronzes. Turns out the bronze was for the one beside mine so when I picked up my kits and saw the G I couldn't believe it. Had to ask the guy what it meant . . .

• 1) LOL.
    2) Couldn't be happier for you Tim - getting the news on this on this thread about 3 great people being recognised for their talents has made my day.
    3) Well done Tim - congrats!

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Image
Heavy Metal Spike

#22 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

Buc Wheat wrote: June 13th, 2023, 4:15 pmThanks to everyone who shared photos of the weekend, for those of us who couldn't make it.
Have some links here: (like that many of the FB links are public, so don't think you have to be signed up)
http://www.bucwheat.com/shows.htm#show

Buc

Thanks for taking the time (as you ALWAYS do) to collect all these and put them in 1 place for us Buc :thumb2: . . . I haven't checked them all out yet - but WILL.

RTBS
Registered Seller
Registered Seller

#23 Post by RTBS »

Tim Fortuna wrote: June 13th, 2023, 12:51 pm Nice work Gents! It was awesome to finally meet Trev and I'm sorry I missed Barad. I did get to see his awesome kits in person though. It was my first WF and my first time going into a model contest.
I got a Gold and a Bronze myself. And a BEOSWL, which was an honor. I wasn't expecting anything at all and was pleasantly surprised when I thought I got two bronzes. Turns out the bronze was for the one beside mine so when I picked up my kits and saw the G I couldn't believe it. Had to ask the guy what it meant.

I *loved* The Gungalorian! Very well done!
RTBS
Registered Seller
Registered Seller

#24 Post by RTBS »

I'm more of a "lurker" here, but I got my first Bronze Award this year. I got a Merit back in 2019 - which I was thrilled with - but getting a Bronze this year made me feel like I am hopefully improving.

bucketfoot-al
Registered Seller
Registered Seller

#25 Post by bucketfoot-al »

tay666 wrote: June 13th, 2023, 1:43 am That gold was totally deserved. Seeing that dragon in person was a real treat.
So much bigger than I had imagined it (even after seeing all the pics of it)

I took almost 1000 photos, so it's gonna be a while until I get them up.
But here is a pic of what I got in the contest

1 silver
1 bronze
8 merits.

I was happy.
CONGRATS TREV!!!! =D> =D> =D> =D>
Bucketfoot-Al
http://bucketfoot-al.tripod.com/DinoModels/

"You may all go to Hell. I will go to Texas."
-Davy Crockett
bucketfoot-al
Registered Seller
Registered Seller

#26 Post by bucketfoot-al »

Tim Fortuna wrote: June 13th, 2023, 12:51 pm Nice work Gents! It was awesome to finally meet Trev and I'm sorry I missed Barad. I did get to see his awesome kits in person though. It was my first WF and my first time going into a model contest.
I got a Gold and a Bronze myself. And a BEOSWL, which was an honor. I wasn't expecting anything at all and was pleasantly surprised when I thought I got two bronzes. Turns out the bronze was for the one beside mine so when I picked up my kits and saw the G I couldn't believe it. Had to ask the guy what it meant.

KICK ASS TIM!!! I absolutely LOVE that "Gundalorean" BASH!!!! Well deserved!!!

:like
Bucketfoot-Al

-Davy Crockett
Glusniffer

#27 Post by Glusniffer »

Heavy Metal Spike wrote: June 13th, 2023, 2:25 am
barad_dur wrote: June 13th, 2023, 12:00 am . . . There is already a fantastic video posted on YouTube that shows many many entries in the contest room: Wonderfest 2023 model contest room.
Definitely worth your time to view it.

Here's the direct link :arrow: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFZYqPsTgNM - I believe it was the first "on site" Wonderfest 2023 video uploaded to YouTube (and by a Brit - but don't hold that against him :) )

Watched this several times today! WOW! Cant wait to see some some still shots! Especially that Xenomorph/Ripley embrace! 8) I really wanted to attend this year but Ive gotten to the point were walking and standing are are painful.....
Jeff doesn't follow directions.
Jeff doesn't pay attention.
Jeff doesn't use time wisely,
Jeff doesn't play well with others......
Glusniffer

#28 Post by Glusniffer »

Buc Wheat wrote: June 13th, 2023, 4:15 pm Thanks to everyone who shared photos of the weekend, for those of us who couldn't make it.
Have some links here: (like that many of the FB links are public, so don't think you have to be signed up)
http://www.bucwheat.com/shows.htm#show

Buc
And now I wont be getting anything done for a few days............................... :roll:
Heavy Metal Spike

#29 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

RTBS wrote: June 13th, 2023, 6:03 pmI'm more of a "lurker" here, but I got my first Bronze Award this year. I got a Merit back in 2019 - which I was thrilled with - but getting a Bronze this year made me feel like I am hopefully improving.

I TOTALLY did a double-take on that - very clever :lol: :lol:

was it named "Thomas the Tie fighter"?

Congrats on the Bronze :thumb2:

Glusniffer

#30 Post by Glusniffer »

Heavy Metal Spike wrote: June 14th, 2023, 1:26 am
RTBS wrote: June 13th, 2023, 6:03 pmI'm more of a "lurker" here, but I got my first Bronze Award this year. I got a Merit back in 2019 - which I was thrilled with - but getting a Bronze this year made me feel like I am hopefully improving.

'The little Tie Fighter that could"..... :mrgreen:
RTBS
Registered Seller
Registered Seller

#31 Post by RTBS »

Thank you! And Yes, He's designed after the Thomas the TIE Fighter meme that's been out there for a while. Here's the full entry with the "advertisement." If you zoom in, you should be able to read the "crawl."

bucketfoot-al
Registered Seller
Registered Seller

#32 Post by bucketfoot-al »

RTBS wrote: June 14th, 2023, 2:54 am

Thank you! And Yes, He's designed after the Thomas the TIE Fighter meme that's been out there for a while. Here's the full entry with the "advertisement." If you zoom in, you should be able to read the "crawl."

OMG that IS clever!!!! Love it!! ❤️❤️❤️😂😂😂
Bucketfoot-Al

-Davy Crockett
sparkvark007
Registered Seller
Registered Seller

#33 Post by sparkvark007 »

All and all, another successful Wonderfest. I didn’t spend too much money, and while I didn’t get all my intended projects completed for this year’s contest, (there’s always next year), what I did get finished and entered got some recognition. \:D/

• Gold - Blade Runner Rachel
• Silver - Morticia Addams
• Silver - Surfer Girl
• Silver - Problem Child
• Bronze - Harley & Bruce “Twister”
• Merit - Bat signal Catwoman

I don’t think photos taken with my phone do an adequate job, but the models are included in several albums taken by other Wonderfest attendees. I will make an effort in the next few weeks to take some decent photos with my digital camera and post them here.

Cheers! 8)
Sample all kinds of plastic, resin & digital goodness at >>>https://sparkvark.deviantart.com/gallery/?catpath=/
Tim Fortuna
Registered Seller
Registered Seller

#34 Post by Tim Fortuna »

RTBS wrote: June 13th, 2023, 6:03 pm I'm more of a "lurker" here, but I got my first Bronze Award this year. I got a Merit back in 2019 - which I was thrilled with - but getting a Bronze this year made me feel like I am hopefully improving.

That was you? That was awesome. My son pointed it out when I was showing him pictures, he loved it.
“If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can’t it get us out?”
Tim Fortuna
Registered Seller
Registered Seller

#35 Post by Tim Fortuna »

sparkvark007 wrote: June 18th, 2023, 7:16 am All and all, another successful Wonderfest. I didn’t spend too much money, and while I didn’t get all my intended projects completed for this year’s contest, (there’s always next year), what I did get finished and entered got some recognition. \:D/

• Silver - Surfer Girl
• Silver - Problem Child

I don’t think photos taken with my phone do an adequate job, but the models are included in several albums taken by other Wonderfest attendees. I will make an effort in the next few weeks to take some decent photos with my digital camera and post them here.

Cheers! 8)
Awesome going on those Sparky. I really liked that Rachel and the Catwoman.
“If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can’t it get us out?”
RTBS
Registered Seller
Registered Seller

#36 Post by RTBS »

Tim Fortuna wrote: June 18th, 2023, 1:57 pm
RTBS wrote: June 13th, 2023, 6:03 pm I'm more of a "lurker" here, but I got my first Bronze Award this year. I got a Merit back in 2019 - which I was thrilled with - but getting a Bronze this year made me feel like I am hopefully improving.

That was you? That was awesome. My son pointed it out when I was showing him pictures, he loved it.
Thanks! I'm glad he liked it.
RTBS
Registered Seller
Registered Seller

#37 Post by RTBS »

sparkvark007 wrote: June 18th, 2023, 7:16 am All and all, another successful Wonderfest. I didn’t spend too much money, and while I didn’t get all my intended projects completed for this year’s contest, (there’s always next year), what I did get finished and entered got some recognition. \:D/

• Silver - Surfer Girl
• Silver - Problem Child

Cheers! 8)
Please do. I especially enjoyed Morticia and the Surfer Girl. All were very well done!
bucketfoot-al
Registered Seller
Registered Seller

#38 Post by bucketfoot-al »

sparkvark007 wrote: June 18th, 2023, 7:16 am *SNIP*

Cheers! 8)
I felt the same way until I got my new phone with an upgraded camera. Given the cost of a digital camera, combined with how unwieldy it is compared to a phone, you would do well to look into getting a phone with an upgraded camera instead

If you don't want to spring for a top of the line phone that's over $1,000, ( I didn't either), I can suggest to you the high mid level Samsung Galaxy A73 model. It was not offered for sale in the US, but you can get it off the Amazon Samsung store for about $400. The catch is that in the United States the phone will only work if you have T-Mobile as your carrier.

The reason I picked up that one was that all of the reviews that I found indicated that the camera on that phone was essentially equivalent to the camera on the $1,000 Plus phones. And brother, let me tell you something, they were right. 😃
Bucketfoot-Al

-Davy Crockett
tay666
Site Admin

#39 Post by tay666 »

Next Tested video is up
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-Zc4517kAM

This one is from the contest room with a focus on a couple Trek ships and their builder.
Looks like it was shot during the judging.
Trevor Ylisaari

Check out My Prehistoric Scenes site and forum

"Nothing like a trail of blood
To find your way back home."

WANTED - Bat Rider - produced by Wraiths
tay666
Site Admin

#40 Post by tay666 »

Another video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBXt_ZnFC7Q

Local news coverage from Alabama about the show and contest.
Trevor Ylisaari

Check out My Prehistoric Scenes site and forum

"Nothing like a trail of blood
To find your way back home."

WANTED - Bat Rider - produced by Wraiths