What's new in the Gallery?
Check This thread

Next concert on the calandar

This is a forum dedicated to the discussion of Recorded Music. Not related to any particular Genre.

There's only two kinds of Music... Good Music and Bad Music.....So drop a coin in the slot, put on your Blue Suede Shoes and c'mon in....

Moderators: tay666, Moderators

Scooke123
Bishop of Build Ups

Re: Next concert on the calandar

#541 Post by Scooke123 »

My Son's band is playing one night next week at SummerFest in Wisconsin - not sure what day. It is a week long concert event. They are playing on the Rebel Stage, one of the smaller side stages. Wish I could go up there but too much going on around here.
Steve Cooke

Scooke123
Bishop of Build Ups

#542 Post by Scooke123 »

This Friday: Deep Purple, Alice Cooper and The Edgar Winter Group. Should be a good show!
Steve Cooke

Scooke123
Bishop of Build Ups

#543 Post by Scooke123 »

Later tonight going to Sammy Hagar, ZZ Top, and Collective Soul - sold-out show. It's our local Rock station KSHE 95's 50th Birthday Party. KSHE is the oldest radio station in the country that has never changed its music format in 50 years. And the weather is supposed to be great too!
Steve Cooke

Heavy Metal Spike
Knight of the Round Bench
Location: Vancouver, Canada (ex-pat UK - Birmingham & Scotland!)

#544 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

Scooke123 wrote:Later tonight going to Sammy Hagar, ZZ Top, and Collective Soul - sold-out show. It's our local Rock station KSHE 95's 50th Birthday Party. KSHE is the oldest radio station in the country that has never changed its music format in 50 years. And the weather is supposed to be great too!
Sounds as amazing now as it did when you first mentioned it 3 months back.

Colour me jealous (especially RE: Sammy).

Have a great time Steve - stay safe!

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Image

Scooke123
Bishop of Build Ups

#545 Post by Scooke123 »

Thanks, I'll let you know how it went. I've never seen Collective Soul and it's been years since I've seen ZZ Top. BTW Sammy's son has a band and they are going to open the show - curious to see if he is a chip off the old man!
Steve Cooke

Scooke123
Bishop of Build Ups

#546 Post by Scooke123 »

Back form the concert last night. Sammy's son Andrew opened up playing several songs (just him and another guitar player - usually he is solo). Sounded pretty good, did a couple covers. Sounds like the old man when he talks and his singing voice was similar to Sammy's just a little cleaner due to the younger vocal cords. Collective Soul came on and did a good job doing a lot of their hits (I forgot about some of the stuff they did). I enjoyed their set - it was the first time I have seen them. They got an hour set. ZZ Top did all their usual stuff - was a little disappointing though. The vocals weren't really good and the playing a little sloppy but I still enjoyed it. They are getting older and who know when they will call it quits - enjoy it for what it is!. Sammy and the Circle didn't disappoint! He loves St. Louis and always gives his best while he is here. They did a good mix of songs from Montrose, Led Zeppelin, solo Sammy, Van Halen, Chickenfoot and Waboritos. Interaction with the crowd was great and he signed everything that was tossed on the stage. Any jerseys and hats were worn for a while first. He had a couple Cardinals and Blues jerseys on for a period of time. Hard to believe he will be 70 later this month. he ended the show with just him singing and Vic Johnson on guitar doing "Dreams"- almost a tear-jerker. Along with great weather it made for a kick-ass evening. Only bad thing was the crowd, it was a sold out show and I think they oversold it because I've never seen the amphitheatre that crowded but it helped especially when the crowd was wound up. Sucks that this show was the last for the season here - gotta wait till next year! Still have the smaller venues for over the winter though.
Steve Cooke

tay666
Site Admin
Resin Slayer

#547 Post by tay666 »

Glad to hear you had a good time.
Sounds like it was really good.

Yeah, too crowded can be a downer. How much of a downer is dependent on the type of crowd.
Trevor Ylisaari

Check out My Prehistoric Scenes site and forum

"Nothing like a trail of blood
To find your way back home."

WANTED - Bat Rider - produced by Wraiths

Heavy Metal Spike

#548 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

Not surprised Sammy was the high point.

Glad you enjoyed (most of) it Steve.

Scooke123
Bishop of Build Ups

#549 Post by Scooke123 »

At least this large crowd was more of a positive - plus the fact that Hagar is so popular here helped. I enjoyed ZZ Top - it was just a little sad I guess more than anything realizing these guys are older and aren't quite on top of the game. At least they played their hits and looked like they still enjoyed what they were doing.
Steve Cooke

tay666
Site Admin
Resin Slayer

#550 Post by tay666 »

Well.
TSO was amazing last night!
First show of the tour again too!
And our seats turned out to be even better than I had hoped.
Trevor Ylisaari

patmoorea
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Squire of the Sprue

#551 Post by patmoorea »

:( OMG ! You are so lucky. Being able to see TSO is a dream for years. Never had a chance cause as i know they just came once in Europe and it was in Germany, so too far for me. Anyway, i'm glad for you :D

tay666
Site Admin
Resin Slayer

#552 Post by tay666 »

Yeah, this was my 2nd time seeing them, first time up close.

Trevor Ylisaari

tay666
Site Admin
Resin Slayer

#553 Post by tay666 »

Well, now that xmas is over, and my daughter has her tickets and I don't have to worry about her seeing this post. I can tell you all of the next 2 dates on my concert calendar.

On March 17th I will be traveling to Pittsburgh to see
A Day To Remember
Papa Roach
Falling In Reverse
The Devil Wears Prada

On April 21st I will be going to Cleveland to see
Papa Roach
Nothing More
Escape The Fate

Both shows will be at venues I have never been to before.
Trevor Ylisaari

tay666
Site Admin
Resin Slayer

#554 Post by tay666 »

Well. Had a nice trip to Pittsburgh this weekend. Met my daughter. Did a little sight-seeing, then had a great time at the concert.

Weather was a bit chilly, but not too bad.
Traffic was better than I had hoped it would be.

Wish I would have taken more pictures. But you know how it goes. Too busy caught up in the moment, and not getting nearly as many pics as you would want.

The venue was cool. Kinda small. I checked, says it holds 9000 for end-stage concerts. Most of that is up on the sides though. Floor is smallish, which was great. Sides were tall and steep, which kinda sucked as we had to go up to the top for bathrooms, concessions, and for me to smoke.

First band (Devil Wears Prada) was pretty boring. Not bad, but not my style and had no hook or anything interesting about them.

Falling in Reverse though, really rocked it!
Won the audience over from the get-go. Didn't hurt that he came out wearing a Pens jersey and a Steelers cape :D.
But the songs were good, the whole band were engaging, and it was a great time.

Papa Roach, of course killed IT!
On fire as usual. Some cool surprises in the setlist. And I think the wall-of-death works really well with Traumatic.
Only thing I didn't like was the light show for Crooked Teeth (which they opened with). Lots of lights flashing and panning across the audience. Was giving me a headache. Thank god, it was only on that first song.

A Day To Remember just bored me :(
Part of it was I was worn out. Being sick the past month, and a long day, plus so much energy spent and the other 2 bands.
But part was I just like their studio sound over their live sound. And the show just kept going on, and on, and on.
Who does 4 encores ???
Trevor Ylisaari

Heavy Metal Spike

#555 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

Sounds like it all worked out overall.

I have a similar "tale of mixed fortunes" from last Friday.

There's hardly anyone comes round here any more (it's all trendy poppy crap).

Steel Panther are a regular visitor though, and they did 3 nights (Thu/Fri/Sat) here again this weekend at the Commodore. A friend got us a couple of tickets for Friday as my belated Birthday present.

I'd seen them twice before at the same place so I knew what to expect - songs you couldn't make out the lyrics on because the Commodore is SUCH a crappy venue acoustically (actually - it's a crappy venue in ALL respects).

Same issue with the chats between songs (one of the big attractions for Panther) . . . couldn't make out a thing. Pointless.

Add in the usual Vancouver mix of people so drunk they can't stand up + the pot-heads - and I'm pretty much done with the pathetic options the Vancouver concert scene "provides".

My friend had never seen them before, didn't know the songs, and hadn't really heard that much rock/metal . . . she thought it was awesome (normally happens when someone who doesn't mind a bit of bawdiness AND has a sense-of-humour hears Panther for the first time :) ).

So, between the friend enjoying it and the food/chat beforehand - a worthwhile night, but shame about the band (for me).

Scooke123
Bishop of Build Ups

#556 Post by Scooke123 »

A shame you don't have a decent venue to have concerts in. If you're ever in the St. Louis area I'll have to introduce you to some of the many venues we have to offer. We go from tiny club-sized all the way to stadium size and everything in between.
Steve Cooke

Heavy Metal Spike

#557 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

Scooke123 wrote:A shame you don't have a decent venue to have concerts in. If you're ever in the St. Louis area I'll have to introduce you to some of the many venues we have to offer. We go from tiny club-sized all the way to stadium size and everything in between.
There's plenty of venues here Steve - it's just that bands I like visit VERY infrequently, and tend to go for either The Commodore (****-hole) or Rogers Arena depending on how popular the bands are.

Both places have terrible acoustics.

However - I'd love to be able to take you up on the offer some day - you never know :) :thumb2:

tay666
Site Admin
Resin Slayer

#558 Post by tay666 »

Yeah. I'd never been to this venue so I didn't know what to expect.
The sound wasn't horrible, but it could have been better. But considering the place is a basketball building for a college team, I'm glad it was as good as it was. If they would have just dialed the volume back just a touch, it would have been so much better.
The vibe of the place was great though. On a college campus, on St Patrick's day, people were there to have a good time. There were a few of the 'too drunk frat boy' types, but they weren't around long.
Especially once the pit really opened up.
Hell, there was even an impromptu dance competition on the floor between bands. They were playing some good fun music, and a couple of dudes started breaking out some amazing moves. Next thing you know there was a huge crowd around them and the people up in the seats were cheering.
I was just too wiped out by that point to really be able to appreciate most of it.

I should be back to 100% by the next show in April.
Then I can cut loose and really have some fun. I so wanted to jump into the pit a few times at the show, but knew I'd better not.
Trevor Ylisaari

tay666
Site Admin
Resin Slayer

#559 Post by tay666 »

tay666 wrote: Papa Roach, of course killed IT!
On fire as usual. Some cool surprises in the setlist.
This was one of the surprises
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cM31kPiCW_A
Trevor Ylisaari

Scooke123
Bishop of Build Ups

#560 Post by Scooke123 »

This Saturday night:
Poison with Cheap Trick and Tom Kiefer from Cinderella. I hope the weather is good and the rain stays away - forecast says a chance of rain all Saturday here.
Steve Cooke